October 2, 2013

A Small Attitude Adjustment

Do people love being around you? I mean, do people get excited when you're around, feel uplifted, and inspired? Or, do they get tense, on edge, and uneasy?

This weekend I went to work and one of my coworkers said to me, "Man, we missed you yesterday. When you work everyone just seems to be in a better mood, the atmosphere is so much more positive." I was blown away by what he said, but I was more blown away by the fact that he was not the first person to tell me something like that. It caused me to ask two questions, "What am I doing that seems to make such an impact? And, do people feel this in all my relationships, teams, and workplaces?"

I've realize that whenever I go to this particular job, before I even step into the door, I determine that I'm going to have a good shift, no matter what happens, no matter how people treat me, and no matter what people say to me. But, I've also realized that I don't necessarily think this way everywhere I go or with every interaction outside of this job.

Having a positive attitude has been an extremely effective work skill I have developed for this job. However, I need to take it from being a work skill to a life skill. How powerful would it be for every team member I lead, every friend I have, and every person I come into contact with to say, "The atmosphere is so much more positive when you're around?"  

I'm realizing that your presence can either empower or it can drain. You often don't realize how greatly your smile, mood, mannerisms, body language, and words impact those around you. All of these are a direct result of your attitude.

You may not always like your job, but you can choose to have a good attitude about it. Your attitude is something that you have absolute control over. 

You see, when you seem to have a problem with everyone at your work place the problem is usually you. And most of the time, it is with your attitude. All it takes is a small, positive attitude adjustment to drastically impact an environment. 

Your attitude starts with a choice and actions follow. Don't wait to be motivated to have a better attitude, have a better attitude and the motivation will follow. When you begin to transform the atmosphere, it empowers others to do the same; one attitude at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment